It's a nabe (hot pot) dish with chicken and other ingredients. They are simply simmered in dashi soup. It's usually cooked at the dining table.
- 3 cups and more kombu dashi soup stock
- 1 lb. boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tofu, cut into small blocks
- 2 lb. hakusai (Chinese cabbage), cut into 2-3 inch lengths
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 negi, or 1 leek, rinsed and diagonally sliced
- 1 shungiku (chrysanthemum greens), cut into 2-3 inch lengths *if available
- ponzu sauce for dipping
Put kombu dashi soup stock and chicken in an electric pan or donabe pot. Heat the soup and bring to a boil. Skim off any foam or impurities that rise to the surface. Turn down the heat to low and simmer the chicken until cooked. Add other ingredients in the pot and simmer until softened. Serve some ponzu sauce in individual small bowls on the side. Take cooked ingredients from the pot and eat, dipping in the sauce. Add more dashi soup as needed.
*Makes 4 servings