Yakitori are skewered and grilled chicken which make great appetizers. A common vegetable to grill with chicken is negi and it's called negima. Also, there are mainly two kinds of flavors: tare and shio. Tare indicates basting sauce and shio means salt.
Yield: Makes 10-12 skewers
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into about 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 negi, cut into about 3/4 inch pieces
- *Bamboo skewers (soaked in water to prevent burning)
- For tare sauce (makes about 1/2 cup):
- 5 Tbsp soy sauce
- 5 Tbsp mirin
- 3 Tbsp sake
- 1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp of sugar *adjust the amount to your preference
- A slice of ginger (optional)
Mix sugar, sake, mirin, and soy sauce in a sauce pan and stir well. Put a slice of fresh ginger, if preferred. Bring to a boil on high heat and turn down the heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened. Stop the heat and set aside. Thread chicken and negi on skewers alternatively. Grill the skewered chicken and negi over hot coals until the surface of chicken turns white. Brush the skewered chicken and negi with the sauce. Grill until cooked through, brushing the sauce a couple of times.