By Judy Ung
Introduction to Japanese Cuisine
If you're new to Japanese cuisine, or simply want to learn more about this diverse style of cooking, start here by reading any of the articles below.
- Introduction to Japanese Cuisine
- Introduction to Traditional Japanese Meal
- Introduction to Traditional Japanese Breakfast
- Introduction to Sushi
Do you know what ingredients and seasonings are used in Japanese cooking? Here are some resources of typical Japanese ingredients. You can also find a place to buy them online.
- Japanese Rice
- Online Japanese Food Shops
- Video: How to Prepare Fresh Wasabi
- Video: How to Prepare and Use Fresh Ginger
Basic Japanese Cooking Tips
Start cooking Japanese food by learning a few basic cooking tips and terminology. Select any of the videos below to get started.
- How to Make Miso Soup
- Video: How to Make Steamed Japanese Rice
- Video: How to Prepare Perfect Sushi Rice
Japanese Bento (Lunch Box) Basics
Japanese bento is a popular style of lunch that includes a variety of prepared dishes including rice, vegetables, fish, and meat. Typically, small portions of several dishes are included in a bento lunch. Explore the recipes and links below to get started on preparing your own Japanese bento.
- Shoyu Tamago (Soy Sauce Eggs)
- Spinach Tamagoyaki (Egg Roulade)
- Beef and Asparagus Rolls
- Baked Chicken Karaage
- List of Additional Bento Recipe Ideas
Well-known Japanese drinks are green tea and sake. Learn more about these drinks as well as other popular Japanese beverages, or try a recipe to make a drink at home.
Seasonal Japanese Recipes
Japanese cuisine is heavily influenced by the distinct seasons of its country. Below you will find dishes categorized by season. Follow the links to find out what dishes are appropriate or popular for a specific season.