Hoshi-shiitake are dried shiitake mushrooms which add a great flavor and aroma in various dishes. It's usually rehydrated before cooking.
Time Required: vary
- Put hoshi-shiitake in a colander and remove dust from the mushrooms.
- Place cleaned hoshi-shiitake in a bowl.
- Pour water to cover the mushrooms.
- Put a drop-lid.
- Put it in the refrigerator and soak for a few hours or overnight, depending on the kind of shiitake mushrooms, until softened.
- Drain, reserving the water which can be used as dashi soup stock.
- It's said that rehydrating in cold water brings out good flavors of shiitake mushrooms.
What You Need
- hoshi-shiitake mushrooms