Kasutera is a sponge cake made from a few ingredients It's a recipe to make a matcha flavored, kasutera-style cake.
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 3/4 cup bread flour
- 1 Tbsp matcha (green tea powder)
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Cover the inside surface of a large loaf pan or two small loaf pans with parchment paper.
- Mix honey in warm milk and set aside.
- Sift flour and green tea powder together a few times and set aside.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl using an electric hand-mixer, adding sugar gradually.
- Place the bowl over warm water in another large bowl.
- Further, whisk eggs until becomes light yellow (almost white).
- Preheat the oven in 360 degrees F.
- Mix the milk and honey mixture in the batter.
- Add sifted flour in the bowl and mix gently with a spatula.
- Pour the batter in the loaf pan and tap the pan gently on the table to release any air bubbles.
- Bake at 360 degrees F for about 10 minutes and turn down oven to 280-300 degrees F and bake for about 40 minutes, or until done. To check if the cake is done, poke it with a bamboo skewer. If the skewer comes out clean it's done.
- Flip the pan upside down on a cooking sheet or platter and remove the pan from the kasutera.
- Remove the parchment paper and cool the kasutera.
- Wrap it with plastic wrap and store until the next day. It tastes better the next day.
- Cut the kasutera into 3/4 inch thick slices.