Round dumplings are generally called dango, and kushi dango means skewered sweet dumplings. These kushi dango coated with sweet soy sauce based sauce are called mitarashi.
Yield: 5 skewers
- 1 1/3 cup joshinko (rice flour)
- 3/4 cup hot water
- *for mitarashi sauce:
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 Tbsp katakuriko starch or cornstarch, mixed with 1 1/2 Tbsp of water
- *Bamboo skewers
- Put rice flour in a bowl
- Gradually pour hot water over the rice flour.
- Mix it using a spatula until combined.
- Knead the dough with hands until smooth.
- Divide the dough into small pieces and roll into small balls.
- Place the dumplings in a preheated steamer and steam them on high heat for about 10 minutes.
- Cool the dumplings and put dumplings on skewers. (*3 or 4 dumplings for a skewer)
- To make mitarashi sauce, mix water, sugar, and soy sauce in a sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Pour the katakuriko starch mixture in the sauce, stirring well.
- Bring to a boil again and stop the heat.
- Grill the skewered dumplings until slightly grill-marked.
- Brush mitarashi sauce over dumplings.