New potatoes are called shinjaga in Japanese and are in season during spring. New potatoes are often cooked whole.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 lb new potatoes
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp mirin
- Wash and scrub new potatoes.
- Put them in a deep pan and pour enough water to cover them.
- Bring to a boil on high heat.
- Turn down the heat to medium and cook about 10 minutes or until softened.
- Drain potatoes in strainer.
- Mix soy sauce, mirin, and sugar in a small cup and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pan on medium heat and fry new potatoes until lightly browned.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the potatoes.
- Shake the pan to let the sauce coat new potatoes over high heat. Stop the heat.