By Judy Ung
Japanese appetizers, also called kozara, or small dishes, are often simple and easily prepared foods. These dishes can be served as an appetizer, a side dish for dinner, or included as a bento (lunch) item. Try an easy appetizer recipe today.
- Spinach Ohitashi
- Hiyayakko (Chilled Tofu)
- Tempura Squid (Ika))
- Su-Shoyuzuke Kyuri (Soy Vinegar Pickled Cucumbers)
- Tofu Dengaku (Miso Glazed Grilled Tofu)
- Sake Steamed Asari Clams
- Ground Beef Wontons
- Shoyu Tamago (Soy Sauce Eggs)
- Spinach Tamagoyaki (Egg Roulade)
Easy Salad Recipes
There are a wide variety of salads in Japanese cuisine, ranging from cooked to raw vegetables, tofu, and seafood. Many of these recipes are great as an appetizer or side dish. Some dishes can even be enjoyed as a meal. Discover how easy it is to make a Japanese salad with one of the recipes below.
- Ohitashi (Cooked Spinach Salad)
- Cucumber and Seaweed Salad
- Tofu Salad
- Cucumber and Daikon (Radish) Salad
- Japanese Style Potato Salad
Quick and Easy Rice Dishes
Rice is a staple of Japanese cuisine and is often enjoyed as a side dish or a meal-in-itself. A popular stand-alone rice dish is donburi or rice bowls, while another is sushi. Choose from the selection of easy rice recipes below to see what fits your appetite today.
- Mame Gohan (Green Peas Brown Rice)
- Gyudon (Beef Bowl)
- Oyakodon (Egg and Chicken Rice Bowl)
- Maguro (Tuna) and Avocado Rice Bowl
- Seafood Chirashi Sushi with Ikura Caviar and Shrimp
Easy Noodle Recipes
Noodles, like rice, are a popular dish in Japan, and there are many noodle dishes that can be quickly prepared either hot or cold. Try a noodle recipe as a meal for lunch or dinner.
- Chilled Somen (Wheat) Noodles
- Zaru Soba (Cold Buckwheat Noodles)
- Yakisoba (Pan-fried Noodles)
- Tuna and Daikon (Radish) Spagetti
- Nyumen (Hot Somen Noodles in Soup)
Easy Vegetable Side Dishes
Vegetables and vegetarian dishes are very common in Japanese cuisine. Learn how to make a simple vegetable dish that can easily accompany a seafood, chicken or beef dish by trying one of the recipes below.
Simple Seafood Recipes
Fish and seafood are staple proteins for the island nation of Japan. A variety of seafood is readily available and often simply prepared. Japanese dishes
Easy Chicken, Pork and Beef Dishes
Chicken, pork and beef are commonly enjoyed in Japanese cuisine and there are several simple ways to prepare them for an easy, yet delicious meal. Try one of these recipes tonight.
Complete your Japanese meal with an easy dessert. These are easy Japanese dessert recipes.