It's a creamy version of harusame (bean threads) salad seasoned with mayonnaise.
- 1 oz dried harusame (bean threads)
- 1/2 apple, cored and thinly sliced into quarter rounds, soaked in salted water and drained
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 oz imitation crab, shredded, or ham, sliced into thin strips
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 5-6 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 boiled eggs, chopped
- 4 lettuce leaves, torn into medium pieces
Put cucumber in a bowl and sprinkle a pinch of salt over. Lightly knead by hands. Set aside for a few minutes. Squeeze cucumber to remove the liquid. Boil harusame noodles, according to the package instruction. Drain the noodles in a colander and cool them in water. Drain well. Cut them into about 3 inch lengths and put in a medium bowl. Pour rice vinegar and stir well. Add cucumber, apple, imitation crab or ham strips, and season with mayonnaise. Add boiled egg and mix well. Add a pinch of sugar to adjust the flavor. Line a serving bowl with lettuce leaves. Serve the salad on lettuce leaves.
*Makes 4 side-dish servings.