It's a hot pot dish which is a regional food of Japan's northern island , Hokkaido. Salmon and a variety of vegetables are cooked on a hot plate together and seasoned with miso based sauce.
Yield: 4 servings
- 4 salmon fillets
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 carrot, cut into thin 1/2 inch width rectangles
- 4 small green bell peppers, cored and cut into 1/2 inch width rectangles
- 1/2 cabbage, about 1/2 lb, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 lb bean sprouts
- 1 bunch enoki mushrooms, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
- 3 Tbsp miso
- 2 Tbsp mirin
- 1 Tbsp sake
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- butter (optional)
- Mix miso, mirin, sake, and sugar in a bowl and set aside.
- Season salmon with salt and pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet or BBQ hot plate on medium heat.
- Place salmon in the skillet.
- Put onion, green bell pepper, and carrot around the salmon.
- Put cabbage, bean sprouts, and enoki mushrooms over the salmon and other vegetables.
- Cover and steam cook until vegetables are almost softened.
- Turn down the heat to low, and place miso mixture over the ingredients.
- Cover and steam cook until salmon is cooked through.
- Put some butter on top if you would like.
- Mix all the ingredients well with the sauce as you eat.