Squids are stuffed with glutinous rice and are simmered in sweet soy sauce based soup. Make sure not to fully fill the squid body tube with rice since squid shrinks when cooked.
Yield: 4 servings
- 4 medium squids
- 1 cup glutinous rice, washed and drained
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp mirin
- *for simmering
- 2 1/2 cup dashi
- 3 Tbsps soy sauce
- 3 Tbsps mirin
- 2 Tbsps sake
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Pull the head and legs of squid gently and remove guts out.
- Remove the clear cartilage and clean the squid body tubes.
- Put rice in a small ball and season with soy sauce and mirin.
- Stuff each squid with the rice and close the pocket using a toothpick.
- Put dashi, soy sauce, mirin, sake, and sugar in a large pan and bring to a boil.
- Place stuffed squid in the pan and place a drop lid or a sheet of aluminum foil on top of squid.
- Simmer on medium low heat for about one hour or until rice is cooked.
- Slice stuffed squid into 1/2-inch-thick rounds and serve on plates.