Deep-fried aji horse mackerels are marinated in sweet and sour sauce with vegetables.
Yield: 4 servings
- 16 small aji (horse mackerel)
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 small green bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 lb carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- *For Marinade
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- flour for coating
- vegetable oil for frying
- Mix water, rice vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce in a medium pan and bring to a boil.
- Stop the heat and add vegetables in the sauce.
- Put the marinade in a flat container and set aside.
- Scale aji and make an incision along the stomach and remove guts.
- Clean gutted aji in water well. Dry with paper towels.
- Coat aji with flour.
- Heat oil for deep-frying to 340 degrees F in a deep pot.
- Deep-fry aji until crispy.
- Drain and place in the marinade.
- Let it marinate for a few hours in the refrigerator.