Takoyaki are known as octopus (tako) balls. To make takoyaki, a cast iron or electric takoyaki pan with many half-spherical molds is used.
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 2 1/2 cup dashi soup
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 lb. boiled octopus, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped benishoga (pickled red ginger)
- 1/4 cup dried sakura ebi (red shrimp) *optional
- *For toppings:
- katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes)
- aonori (green seaweed powder)
- Worcestershire sauce or takoyaki sauce
Mix flour, dashi soup, and eggs in a bowl to make batter. Thickness of the batter should be like potage soup. Preheat a takoyaki pan and grease the molds. Pour batter into the molds to the full. Put octopus, red ginger, green onion, and dried red shrimp in each mold. Grill takoyaki balls, flipping with a pick to make balls. When browned, remove takoyaki from the pan and place on a plate. Put sauce and mayonnaise on top and sprinkle bonito flakes and aonori over.