- 2 1/4 cups Japanese rice
- for sushi vinegar (1/4 cup rice vinegar, 2 Tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt)
- 8 dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated in 2 cups of warm water *keep the water for cooking
- (1 Tbsp soy sauce, 1 Tbsp sugar, 1 tsp mirin)
- 3 eggs and 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 1/2 lb sashimi/sushi-grade tuna slices, marinated in 2 Tbsp of soy sauce and a little bit of wasabi (if you would like)
- 2 oz imitation crab, shredded
- 2 Tbsp white sesame seeds
Meanwhile, remove stems from shiitake and slice thinly. Heat 2/3 cup of the water used for rehydrating shiitake in a medium pan. Add shiitake and soy sauce, sugar, and mirin. Simmer shiitake on low heat until the liquid is almost gone. Set aside. Beat eggs in a bowl and add 1/2 Tbsp of sugar. Oil a medium skillet and pour a scoop of egg mixture and make a thin omelet like a crepe. Make a few sheets. Cut the omelet into thin strips.
Serve sushi rice on a large plate or individual bowls. Spread simmered shiitake, cucumber, imitation crab meat, and omelet strips over rice. Place tuna sashimi on top. Sprinkle sesame seeds.
*Makes 4-6 servings