Daigakuimo are deep-fried and sugar coated satsumaimo sweet potatoes.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 lb satsumaimo sweet potato, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1-2 tsp sesame seeds
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Heat oil in a deep pan to about 330 degrees F and deep fry sweet potatoes until cooked through and golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Mix water, sugar, and soy sauce in a large skillet.
- Put on midium-low heat and simmer until the liquid thickens.
- Stop the heat and quickly stir fried sweet potatoes into the sugar sauce.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over the sugar coated sweet potatoes.