It's a variation of teriyaki chicken. Negi onion and chicken are often cooked together in Japanese dishes.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 lb boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 negi or leek, washed and cut into 1 inch lengths
- 2 Tbsp sake
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 2 Tbsp katakuriko starch / corn starch, mixed with 2 Tbsp of water
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Fry chicken on medium heat for a couple of minutes.
- Turn the chicken over and add negi in the pan.
- Pour sake over the ingredients.
- Cover with a lid and cook on low heat for about 5 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Pour soy sauce and mirin over the chicken and negi and bring to a boil.
- Add the mixture of katakuriko starch and water in the pan to thicken the sauce.
- Stir quickly and stop the heat.