Niku dofu is simmered meat and tofu as niku means meat in Japanese. Commonly, beef is used for this dish.
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cotton (firm) tofu, cut into bite size blocks
- 1/2 lb thinly sliced beef loin
- 1 onion, wedged
- 1 enoki mushroom, trimmed and cut in half lenghwise
- 1 cup dashi stock
- 1/4 cup sake
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- Put dashi, soy sauce, sake, and sugar in a medium pan and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Add beef slices and cook until changes color.
- Remove the beef out of the pan.
- Put onion and tofu in the soup and simmer for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add enoki mushrooms and cook for a few minutes.
- Add previously cooked beef in the pan and simmer for a minute or two.