Udon noodles are served in thick curry flavored soup.
- 5 oz thinly sliced pork, or chicken thigh, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 inches carrot, julienned
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 5 cup dashi soup
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 2 1/2 Tbsp katakuriko starch or potato starch, mixed with 4 Tbsp of water
- 4 inches negi, or green onion, diagonally and thinly sliced
- 4 servings preboiled udon noodles
Heat some oil in a deep pot and saute pork until it changes color on medium heat. Add onion slices and saute on low heat until softened.
Put curry powder and stir-fry with meat and onion well. Add shiitake mushrooms and carrot and stir-fry. Pour dashi soup in the pot and season with soy sauce and mirin. Simmer until carrots are softened on medium heat. Add the starch and water mixture to thicken the soup. Add negi slices in the soup. Meanwhile, boil water in a large pan and heat udon noodles as indicated in the package. Drain the udon and divide into four bowls. Serve curry soup over the udon noodles.
*Makes 4 servings.