Eggplants are pan-fried and flavored with sour sauce.
Yield: 4 servings
- 3-4 Japanese eggplants (about 3/4 lb), cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp dashi
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 Tbsp white sesame seeds
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- vegetable oil for frying
- Put a pinch of salt in a bowl of water and soak eggplants in the salted water for about 10 minutes.
- Drain and dry them with paper towels.
- Combine rice vinegar, dashi, sugar, and soy sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat some vegetable oil in a skillet.
- Fry eggplants for a few minutes on high heat.
- Pour the sweet and sour sauce over eggplants.
- Simmer on medium heat until liquid is almost gone.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and add sesame oil at last.