Yakisoba can be a delicious sandwich filling.
- 1 package pre-steamed chuka noodles (150g/package)
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 oz carrot, peeled and thinly sliced into rectangles
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced into strips
- 1/4 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 green head cabbage leaf, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp yakisoba sauce, or 1 package of yakisoba seasoning, or 2-3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- beni-shoga (pickled red ginger) for garnish
- 4 to 6 hot dog buns, buttered
Lightly loosen pre-steamed chuka noodles and set aside. Heat vegetable oil in a medium skillet on medium heat. Stir-fry carrot, onion, and green bell pepper until softened. Add cabbage in the skillet and stir-fry for about a minute. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Add noodles in the skillet. Pour 1/6 cup of water over the noodles and cover the skillet. Turn down the heat to low and steam for a few minutes, or until the liquid is almost gone. Remove the lid and add yakisoba seasoning powder or sauce, stirring the noodles quickly. (*Adjust the amount of sauce to your taste.)Divide yakisoba into 4 to 6 portions. Place yakisoba in buns and garnish with benishoga if it's available. To pack in a lunch box, let yakisoba sandwiches cool and wrap in plastic wrap.
*Makes 4 to 6 sandwiches